On 18/08/2006, at 8:31 AM, Geoff Bowers wrote:

> 2) its not computationally trivial to work out what is a good and not
> so good post

Just FYI Chip Temm has an interesting comment on our blog about using
Bayesian algorithms (often used in spam filters) to automatically
categorise content - here is a link to the article he wrote in CFDJ
about this a while back:

http://au.sys-con.com/read/154232.htm

To make this work we need a large sample of posts in various
categories.  To this end I wrote a CF script this evening that
visited the 468 feeds aggregated by the Goog and built a distinct
list of dc:subject tag values on the feed items (see my blog comment
for the list).

I figure that if we can map the various subjects used on these blogs
for CF, Flash, Flex etc (there typically seem to be about 4-8
variations for each product) to products we should be able to visit
the original articles, and assign each to the correct sample (CF,
Flash, Trash etc) based on the subjects allocated by the author at
post time.  With this data (basically a word frequency table) we
should be able to look at any article or web page and with some
modest number crunching get a pretty good indication of how relevant
it would be to a particular product. It will be fun to see if it
works anyway...

Robin Hilliard