I'd also like to add a little to the CFUGs in Microsoft issue.
I pondered this exact same thing recently myself.
Its an interesting idea that you could hold your CFUG meeting in the
premises of your 'competitor'.
Getting free stuff out of Microsoft is also always nice.
But thats it. There's no other real value add.
We get our catering costs covered by the local Adobe office, we get
sufficient free giveaways from Adobe as well, and we have a very good
venue also provided at no cost.
Apart from being interesting, what do we gain from holding it at
Microsoft? (yes I know this all stemmed from an internet connection
issue, but there are other ways around that)

The people at Microsoft are _far_ from idiots. They don't do things
for no reason, or even trivial reasons.
People can say all they want that it doesn't matter, and "we're not
idiots, we won't be swayed", but in the end, it does make a
difference, and it doesn't "feel right".
Microsoft are far too keen, so they are obviously seeing it as a non
trivial benefit to them. I'm not seeing any kind of benefit beyond the
trivial that the CFUG gets from the arrangement, and at the end of the
day, they are the competitor.

As I've said in other lists lately, there are places to go to get info
about Microsoft products and places to go to get info on Adobe
products, and the two should be seperate and distinct things. Everyone
knows where to get info about Microsoft products. The CFUG community
doesn't have to facilitate information flow about competing
technologies.
I have no problem with getting someone from Microsoft in to tell us
about technologies that we want to hear about, but its still our
meeting, and its our call as to what is covered and what is not
covered, and you start to loose that control when you accept
'incentives' like hosting, etc, from any vendor.
Its a slippery slope, and there may not be any problems with doing it
either, but the trick is to avoid the potential situations where
compromising your aims and objectives becomes possible or is removed
from your control.
The risk is small, but the benefit is even smaller, so its just not
worth taking it, in my mind.

Thats why we're doing what we're doing.

Regards

Darren Tracey