can you use cfsetting and increase the timeout massively for that
request to stop the timeout?

If you are reading in a huge file, cffile is not good, as it can will
read in the entire file to memory (I understand this has been imporved
in CF8)

The is an example of using Java to read in a file line in CF7 here:
"[path to cfide]/cfide/gettingstarted/experience/index_content.cfm"
then "Code Snippets by Feature and Tasks"
Under "Java Integration"

so, with those two, could you read in the file and put it in your DB?