Hello,

grant wrote:
> Here's the scenario: we have a csv file that contains 1.5 million rows
> and is provided by an external vendor. we need to either (a) parse the
> csv and insert into a DB, or (b) do lookups directly on the csv.

Coming in a bit late on this. The fact that there are CFXs that do this
has been mentioned, specifically the one to read a CSV into a query and
we have tried that one ourselves. We had issues but we were doing
non-standard things so we didn't blame the CFX. There is also a CFX that
just reads a text file in line-by-line but it had bugs with some text
types so we rolled our own. We use it to read log files, which can be
massive, and it reads any file that is conventionally line-delimited
(CF, LF or both) into a query object that you can then use as you feel fit.

If I read your question directly you don't need to put the data in toto
into a database, just be able to get stuff out of it. In which case a
query object is just the thing.

Out tag is going to be put in the public domain once our new website is
up along with a few other useful goodies we have put together over the
years but I am happy to flick it to you now if you wish. It can read an
entire text file or start at a defined point so you can walk thru the
file line-by-line if you wish.

HTH

Kym K

PS, Somebody said CF is an interpreted language. It used to be but that
was two (almost 3) versions ago. These days it is compiled and so is a
lot faster.