Hi Dale,

Dale Fraser wrote:

> So,
>

> No one puts virus software on servers then?

The quick answer, for our context at least, is "no" :-)

By virus software I assume you are talking about a virus scanner. By
default such a beast will trigger for any file write by the OS. That
will stop a web or database server dead in its tracks so you have to put
a squillion exceptions in to let the server's normal write functions to
work unimpeded (log files, etc). Then you have the dilemma of how to
protect against uploaded files if you have such things on your websites.

One option is to use a virus scanner that is directory intelligent and
let it do its thing for an upload directory only or some such but you
still get a performance hit as it is still sitting there doing a
first-pass look at everything to see where it is going. The second
option is to use an external scanner, ie one on another machine that
checks your server. That works well, we use TrendMicro's server product
to do it, but has the disadvantage that the scanning is external in
every respect and so needs management.

HTH

Kym K