(pls forgive,  gotta be quick)

there's the other parts to it as well, header info on the code files
explaining date, purpose, revision number, bug fixes, etc. Some people
build that into their source code control as automated/fill out the
form commits, etc.

then there's back to basics old fashioned CompSci data dictionaries,
etc, explaining every variable used, datatype, initialisation value,
range/out of bounds, etc.

but the biggest thing of all is the ability to track changes, both
with sensible using of source control and comments within the code
explaining what was changed and why.

the thing to keep in mind always is maintainability in the future. if
memory and guesswork (naming format of variables) is the only thing
left after code is committed then it's failed.

I've got a bloated access database I'm having to migrate data out of
right this minute. I'm thinking of all sorts of nasty names to the
people that wrote and maintained it...

my 2c. back to this shocker mdb file...