Taco Fleur wrote:
> There is ALWAYS a solution to a problem. But keep 'm coming, the more
> ideas we get out of it ;-)
Here's one:

With our CF-base mail server we can do tricks and one has been to log
all bad IP addresses for machines that try to send "bad" emails. Most
are easy to detect (not a full domain name in the HELO clause, etc) and
we store these and reject in the future on the IP when they connect. The
database has over a million records at the moment and is growing
steadily and we were concerned as to how to look up on every hit as with
umpteen emails a second on a table that size its making the db server
work hard. We tried Q of Q and caching, etc but the update rate is so
high that cahing is not much use and the best we found is simply storing
the lot in an application scope structure,
application.bannedIPs[IPaddress], and use
StructKeyExists(application.bannedIPs, IPaddress) to see if the incoming
IP is good or not. Works well and memory use does not seem to be a problem.

So handling a stack of IPs is not as bad as it first appears......

--

Kym Kovan,
Technical Support,

[EMAIL PROTECTED]