Guys,

keep in mind that NZ is NOT a state of Australia (yet?), we're a
different country, different network providers etc. - so they'll
rip you off via a mechanism that's called international roaming :-)

If you had an AU Telstra wireless modem, I suppose it would work
here from a frequency point of view but you'd need to find out if
Telstra has a roaming agreement with either Telcom or VF. Secondly
I assume you'd buy a Telstra modem with a plan - x GB traffic
included. I'm pretty sure even if there's roaming your included
traffic won't be applicable while on roaming, i.e. you'd pay by
the megabyte or by the minute - and also on absolutely rip-off
tariffs.

The other way you could certainly get on a Vodafone Vodem here
in NZ. Vodafone is GSM and the USB vodem device is possible to be
used internationally - the software comes with support for basically
all Vodafone networks.

Question is though if you can get it without a 24 months minimum
term contract as you'd have to get a NZ VF data SIM card (which
is technically a non-term contract) and how to work out all the
details. Also another note: coverage in Palmy might be available
on the map, but I've had scenarios all over the country when
I had coverage, but either not indoor or just with dial-up (GRPS
instead of 3G) speed etc. To be honest - I think you might be
better off sticking with dial-up instead of all the other hassle.

Cheers,
Kai