Good catch, Andrew. As for "something that can fix", it seems worth noting
that the .NET integration is indeed separately installed from CF, so it
seems you don't need to reinstall all of CF. Can't tell if you already knew
that, so sorry if it's not the useful info you were looking for. You mention
having looked at some "notes at Adobe". Can't tell, also, if you're saying
you saw the page on this in the livedocs:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/help.html?content=othertechn
ologies_10.html

It explains how you should be able to uninstall just the .NET service,
though it refers to it as the "Adobe Scorpio .NET Service". I just filed a
comment pointing that out. Also, even though I DID have the .NET service
installed and running, I did NOT see any listing of the feature in the
add/remove programs feature in Control Panel (now called "programs and
features" in Vista). I tried to use the uninstall option for CF8 itself,
hoping it might offer it as an option perhaps, but instead it did indeed
just uninstall all of CF. Doh! I mentioned all that in the comment as well
(which won't likely be there if one looks in the next few hours after I
write this).

But I did just notice (too late for me) that the bottom of the page also
lists a specific uninstaller exe. Have you tried those yet, Andrew? It seems
it may be pretty straightforward doing the uninstall/reinstall. Let us know
how that goes for you.

/charlie