Hmm, lot's of stuff to wade through here I see. I'm sure I'll find lot's of
interesting stuff ;-)

This exercise has been very difficult, we are truly wanting to base our
technology decision on the full picture, including future growth;
- learning curve
- resources available
- cost of server license, taking into account clustering, load balancing, OS
license etc.
- cost of developer license
- enterprise platform
- pro's/con's: OS independent etc. etc.

PS: I'm a ColdFusion guy myself, but this decision needs to be made from a
business perspective and it can't be a biased one, which is why I'm
gathering all the info I can.

PPS: A little more insight on the matter; we (certainedge) are creating a
platform developers can build upon (PaaS), we have our technology sorted for
that and CF does not come into play. The client that needs to consume the
web services is the technology part I'm trying to make a decision on. Since
it's a thin client I'm considering to create the client in JS/AJAX only, but
just need to work out authentication.