HI,

There will be an inherent delay in DB access across a network. It will only be
as fast as the slowest piece of your network.

That's why we put our DB databases on disks in a SAN, all connected up with
gigabit ethernet. Pretty much next to the database server in a rack.

What do you mean redundant server? You may like to check out the terms
"Replication" and "Log Shipping" for making hot-standby by copies of your
database. Also clustering sql server for the ultimate in redundancy.

Scott Thornton, Programmer
Billing Unit, Hunter-New England Area Health Service
ext: 51762 p: +61 02 491 51762 m: 0413 800 242

>>> "Steve Onnis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/10/2008 10:39 pm >>>
Hey guys

Just curioud to know if anyone knows if there is a delay between data being
written to an MSSQL data file or if it is immediate.  I am looking at
storing the SQL data files across a network on a file server and just
wanting to try and find out any issues this would cause if something was to
happen and the sql server died.  Would the data be current or is there a
latency between actions and writing the data out.

Also, if anyone knows of any places to find out how to set up redundant SQL
servers, or if anyone has done it them or even if its possible.

Steve