HI,

Its always worth it ( imho ).

A year or more ago we went from an aging dual-core machine as our SQL server to
a dual quad-core SQL 2005 64bit cluster. Its reliable and blindingly fast. I
recall a certain report that took 15 minutes reduce to about 30 seconds. Having
32gig ram per server helped too.. our entire database is in ram.

I am not an expert in this stuff so I probably get the terminology wrong and am
not the best person to ask.

Pretty sure its an Active-Active cluster.... eg There are servers named BILLDB1
and BILLDB2 but we only know it as <appname>LIVESQL. I recall once a windows
update had hung the machine and it had failed-over to the 2nd node. We never
noticed that it had and didn't know until someone in my server-room called to
say.. Its expensive to set-up, but we can't afford to have staff sitting around
doing nothing during a technical problem. I am clustering CF next.... just need
someone to pay for CF licences.

>>> "Barry Beattie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 13/10/2008 10:38 am >>>

@Scott Thornton

"Also clustering sql server for the ultimate in redundancy."

if someone was after hot-swapping from a primary to a back-up machine,
would clustering those two (and ensuring neither hits over 50% use)
get the same thing? (ie: is it worth it just for two?)

(this is putting aside the question of licenses)