Those commands are similar to what I'm running (except I don't run the kill
command on anything first)

did you have the JDK on your mac?
The jmap I'm running is a jmap I've put onto the Linux box specifically (the
libjli.so was already there). Jmap wasn't on the box from the standard
install, it is from a JDK I downloaded (which is supposed to be the same
version of java which matches what's on the Linux box) I just copy the jmap
file from the JDK stuff I downloaded.

Is it possible that the libjli.so file that is already on the linux box is
not the one the jmap from the JDK I downloaded expects perhaps?