Just to close off this thread,
I got around the issue by using the entire JDK, it would appear that
just using jmap on its own doesn't work with the standard JVM
libraries (no doubt jmap needs specific libraries that only come with
the JDK).
I just put the JDK (downloaded and extracted straight from the
downloads website) in it's own directory on the server, and called
jmap directly from there, which worked a treat.

Regards
Barry