Hey Mike,

I can't vouch for ColdFusion 9, but I don't recall Adobe actually updating
the installer to work on Windows 8+. What you are experiencing seems to
point to that as an issue.

Now there is a known hack, but it is really use at your own risk, to
extract the install files and install everything manually. The installer
used prior to Windows 8, would have issues that you describe.

When using the connectors, these must be run elevated as well.

ColdFusion 10 and ColdFusion 11 as they both have the new updated
installers, should work on Windows 10 as they do work on Windows 8. But I
just can't vouch for ColdFusion 9, if it has these update installers or not.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
WebSite: http://www.andyscott.id.au/
Google+:  http://plus.google.com/113032480415921517411