Mike,

ColdFusion 9 will run on any version of Windows, it is Java. The issues
arises when trying to use the connectors on anything above Windows 7 as
well as the installer.

You have a few options that will work, depending on if you have the time.

As Andrew Myers hinted, running multiple instance of ColdFusion is always a
good thing in development. It allows you to add instances of any version of
ColdFusion if you have the war/ear files to do so. ColdFusion 9 is not
supported on Tomcat, but it will run fine and you will need to know how to
manually set sites up. I know there was issues during ColdFusion 10 beta
days, where ColdFusion 9 wars had issues being deployed on ColdFusion 10
installs. So you may be in for some long learning sessions on how to do
this manually.

Another option, but time consuming is to install Windows 7 and ColdFusion 9
and update it to Windows 10. Although this should work it may run into
further unsupported issues. I know ColdFusion 10 and ColdFusion 11 are
running fine here on my Windows 10 machine, but this was an update from
Windows 8. The only issue is the connector detects its unsupported, so
knowing how to manually configure the server is going to be handy.

My favourite, is to just throw as much ram into the main machine as
possible and go and install VirtualBox. This will allow you to setup and
install any amount of Virtual Machines to suit your taste.

I am guessing that you are in need to have it run on ColdFusion 9 because
sites you maintain use it, but too be honest I would be looking at
ColdFusion 10 and ColdFusion 11, with a Virtual Machine running ColdFusion
9 and then you can migrate the site over to ColdFusion 10 at your
convenience.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
WebSite: http://www.andyscott.id.au/