From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Steve Bryant
Sent: 09 September 2005 13:48
To: CFCDev@cfczone.org
Subject: [CFCDev] variables.my (Was: Method parameters vs method names)

Why the "my" in "variables.my.dsn"? What's the advantage over
"variables.dsn"?

Thanks,

Steve

At 03:08 AM 9/9/2005, Barney Boisvert wrote:
>You've got it.  Though I'd recommend the constructor, that's what it's
>there for.  No real need to have get/set methods; how often do you
>change datasources without reloading your application?  Easier to just
>set it as an immutable property at instantiation time and forget about
>it.  And don't forget to scope your query name.  Here's how I do it
>(with lot of tag attributes missing for brevity):
>
><cfcomponent>
>
>   <cffunction name="init">
>     <cfargument name="dsn" />
>     <cfset variables.my.dsn = dsn />
>     <cfreturn this />
>   </cffunction>
>
>   <cffunction name="getEmployees">
>     <cfset var getEmployees = "" />
>     <cfquery datasource="#variables.my.dsn#" name="getEmployees">
>       SELECT ....
>     </cfquery>
>     <cfreturn getEmployees />
>   </cffunction>
>
></cfcomponent>
>
>cheers,
>barneyb

email.

CFCDev is run by CFCZone (www.cfczone.org) and supported by CFXHosting
(www.cfxhosting.com).

CFCDev is supported by New Atlanta, makers of BlueDragon
http://www.newatlanta.com/products/bluedragon/index.cfm