Just brainstorming a hypothetically compelling reason: consumption of
locally-made movies, which I'm given to understand currently happens
wholesale on cellphones in India. Would the move to tablet form, i.e. bigger
screen and (one would hope) better sound, make for a massively improved
experience?

The Aakash could be a better investment than a TV / DVD player, given the
greater capacity and reusability of USB or SD cards compared to DVDs. Of
course, the TV has a bigger screen, but it doesn't run on batteries. How
much would a TV cost?

Fritz