Hi,

Join us for the Change Seminar next Tuesday 14th, 2020 at noon.

*When*: Tuesday 1/14, 12pm-1pm

*Where*: CSE2 271 (Bill & Melinda Gates Computer Science Building).

*Who: *Naveena Karusala

*Title: *Engaging Identity, Assets, and Constraints in Designing for
Resilience

*Bio:*

Naveena is a 3rd year Ph.D. student at the University of Washington's
School of Computer Science and Engineering, working with the Information
and Communication Technology and Development (ICTD) Lab and advised
by Richard Anderson. Her research lies at the intersection of HCI and ICTD.
Drawing on qualitative and participatory methods, she studies the use of
chat in patient-provider communication and how it can be leveraged towards
the design of sustainable health technologies that support care work. Her
work draws on feminist and assets-based perspectives on design, focusing on
equity, bridging policy and ground-level perspectives, and sustainability.

*Summary:*

We contribute to the growing conversation on assets-based approaches to
design in Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW) and Human-Computer
Interaction (HCI) with a qualitative study of resilience. Our study is
situated within a community health infrastructure in a rural county in
southwest Kenya, where health organizations pay community health workers’
salaries via digital payments, backdropped by ongoing issues with missing
and delayed payments. Through the lens of intersectionality, we examine how
community health workers of diverse backgrounds and contracted status
respond to the mandated use of digital payment methods and long payment
delays. We highlight how resilience in this context is situated in workers’
intersecting socioeconomic and professional identities, which shape the
assets and constraints that workers engage with, in efforts to be
resilient. We leverage our findings to discuss how assets-based approaches
to design can be further operationalized and used to sustainably support
resilience.

Samia Ibtasam <http://samiaibtasam.com/>
PhD Student,
Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering
University of Washington,