This service was held last Saturday at Historic Oakland in Columbia.  The room 
was packed by 11:05 and at least 30 people had to stand in the back of the room 
and another 20 or so outside the door to the room.  It was a very Christian 
service with a number of readings from the Bible and several prayers.  I did 
not get to meet the priest/minister who presided.  After those procedings, 
different people were invited to share thoughts about Arjay.  These included 
his brother William, several nieces, and several friends, including myself.  
One gentleman from Phoenix shared some very amusing and insightful descriptions 
of things Arjay did during his workday - including taking naps at lunch.  I 
hope this gentleman will share his comments with Dawna so she can incorporate 
them into her upcoming article.  A few people from CV attended:
Tweefie Millspaugh, Didon Pachner, Arjay's friend and neighbor Roger, Bob Finn, 
Valerie Griffin, and perhaps others I did not recognize.  I was really 
impressed with the total number of people who attended.

Brad Schlegel

----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Steven Allan 
  To: [email protected] ; [email protected] ; 
[email protected] ; [email protected] ; 
[email protected] ; [email protected] 
  Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 12:20 AM
  Subject: RE: ARJAY MEMORIAL SERVICE DETAILS FROM HIS NIECE WILLOW





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  From: [email protected]
  To: [email protected]; [email protected]; 
[email protected]; [email protected]; 
[email protected]
  Subject: Fw: ARJAY MEMORIAL SERVICE DETAILS FROM HIS NIECE WILLOW
  Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 20:38:02 -0500


  Some of you might get this more than once.

  Brad

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Willow Wingate 
  To: John Houston ; Houston - CVCA, John ; Cobb, Dawna - home ; 
[email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected] ; 
[email protected] ; [email protected] 
  Cc: brwork ; Brmeade ; Brad Schlegel 
  Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:20 PM
  Subject: ARJAY MEMORIAL SERVICE DETAILS FROM HIS NIECE WILLOW


  Hello Charles Village community members. 

  I'm forwarding this info to you at the suggestion of Brad Schlegel. Please 
accept my apology if this is unwanted/unsolicited, I'm trying to cover as many 
bases as possible and I'm not familiar with how your message/discussion/chat 
board works. 

  And, one of Arjay's other nieces, Elizabeth Johnson, is working on a memory 
book for his daughter Anne. If anyone would like to contribute thoughts etc. 
just forward them to me.  (Thanks) 

  Following is the message that I posted on the board with a couple 
revisions/deletions.

  Let me know if you or others have questions.
  M-F contact me through work E-mail as follows:
  [email protected]

  Thank you for your time.
  Willow 


  Dear Friends of Arjay/Richard Johnson,

  Richard Temple Johnson aka "Arjay" was my uncle (my mother's brother-in-law.)
  He was very dear to me and like a father. He would often refer to himself as 
"Tio Ricardo" (in his best latino accent.) 

  We're all very sad and are still in shock and disbelief that he's suddenly 
gone from our lives (physically, as he'll always be with us in spirit.) I feel 
especially sorry for his daughter Anne Johnson, a young woman of only 21 years. 
She's doing okay but will need a lot of love and support.

  Uncle Rick's brother, Bill, (Dr. William R. Johnson of Columbia/Ellicott 
City, MD) found Arjay and this has been very hard on him. They were very close. 
Arjay is also survived by his parents, Mr. & Mrs. William R. Johnson, Sr, of 
Ellicott City (they're in their 90's,) his daughter Anne and ex-wife, Rebecca 
Johnson, of Guilford, and my other aunt, Louise Morgan of Towson.

  Uncle Rick was a Mechanical Engineer with Phoenix International in Largo, 
Maryland. He was only 67 years old. Apparently he was very sick with what we 
think was the flu. He was last seen by his friend Roger on Sunday December 
28th. Bill discoverd him on Wednesday December 31st. We've been told by the 
medical examiner that he died of an abdominal aortic aneurysm. He was cremated 
on Friday January 2nd. 

  I want to thank those of you who inquired about his memorial service. 
Initially the service was to be on Saturday, January 24th due to existing 
weekend travel plans that Bill had for the subsequent weekends following Uncle 
Rick's death.

  I received an E-mail from Brad Schlegel regarding the service on Saturday 
January 31st. The details are as follows:

  Historic Oakland Manor
  5430 Vantage Point Rd.
  Columbia, MD  21044

  Saturday, January 31st at 11 AM

  Directions to Historic Oakland
  From Baltimore:
  I-95 South to Route 175 (Columbia).  Follow Route 175 West for 5.3 miles. 
Turn left at Vantage Point Road, follow for 3/10 mile.  Turn right at the 
OAKLAND sign.
  or 

  I-695 South to I-70 West. South on Route 29 to Route 175 West (exit 20b).  At 
2nd stop light, turn left at Vantage Point Road, follow for 3/10 mile. Turn 
right at the OAKLAND sign.
  And, thanks to John Spurrier for the photo of Uncle Rick with his conga drum. 
There are so many things that I'd like to write but I don't know any of you and 
am not comfy with going into all of my thoughts. Suffice it to say that I loved 
my uncle and I'll miss him so much. He was a kind soul deep down despite his 
occasional "grumpy old man" routine (and that's meant in a light-hearted way.)
   
  Regards,
  Willow Wingate






------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  From: "Schlegel, William B CW4 RES USAR USARC" <[email protected]>
  To: "Wingate - home, Willow" <[email protected]>; "Wingate - work, 
Willow" <[email protected]>
  Cc: brwork <[email protected]>; Brmeade <[email protected]>; John 
Houston <[email protected]>; "Cobb, Dawna - home" <[email protected]>; 
"Houston - CVCA, John" <[email protected]>
  Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:13:59 PM
  Subject: Re: ...re-read Arjay...

  I found another e-mail address for John Houston.  [email protected] 
Houston - CVCA, John <[email protected]> is not valid.

  ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Schlegel" 
<[email protected]>
  To: "Wingate - home, Willow" <[email protected]>; "Wingate - work, 
Willow" <[email protected]>
  Cc: "'John Houston'" <[email protected]>; "Houston - CVCA, John" 
<[email protected]>; "Cobb, Dawna - home" <[email protected]>
  Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:36 PM
  Subject: Fw: ...re-read Arjay...

  More insight into Arjay's thoughts.  I believe the John being referred to is
  John Houston.  I believe he probably does know about Arjay's passing.  I
  will try to confriom his current e-mail address.
  > 
  > Brad


  > 
  > ----- Original Message ----- From: "arjay" <[email protected]>
  > To: "Charles Village Discussion" <[email protected]>
  > Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 10:48 AM
  > Subject: ...re-read Arjay...
  > 
  > 
  > John,
  > 
  > No, don't do that, ...I even re-read mine sometimes, and when I do, I can't
  > even stand myself.  The last time I did that I ALMOST called "Whip" and 
tried
  > to sign up on "the gang".
  > 
  > "Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, ...for they shall never 
cease
  > to be amused".
  > 
  > Arjay
  > ________________________________
  > 
  >> ===== Original Message From "Charles Village Discussion"
  > <[email protected]> =====
  >> Arjay - Thank you, as penance for the err of my ways, I'll go back and read
  >> some of your emails several times - Agggg  ;-)
  >> 
  >> J
  > 
  >> 
  > ----- Original Message ----- From: "arjay" <[email protected]>
  > To: "Charles Village Discussion" <[email protected]>
  > Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 4:41 PM
  > Subject: ...question technique...
  > 
  > 
  > John,
  > 
  > You are starting to frame your questions the same way "Whip" and Joan Floyd,
  > and some others do, ...excuse me if I don't feel like I owe anyone a 
detailed
  > explanation of "they".  I don't have time to provide a complete list of all
  > the vital data to completely identify the guilty parties who are also sick 
and
  > tired of "Whip" and his gang.
  > 
  > Arjay
  > _________________________________
  > 
  >> ===== Original Message From "Charles Village Discussion"
  > <[email protected]> =====
  >> Arjay, welcome back - I think ;-)
  >> 
  >> who is this "they" ya reference?
  >> 
  >> S,
  >> J
  > 





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Windows Liveā„¢: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. See how it 
works. 
_______________________________________________
Chat mailing list
[email protected]
http://charlesvillage.info/mailman/listinfo/chat_charlesvillage.info
archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

Reply via email to