I used APL heavily in the late 70s in the process of researching &
developing an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) system. I used STSC AND
UCC  timesharing, an IBM selectric typwriter with an APL type ball, and an
acoustic coupler to work on the recognition algorithms. Not being a touch
typist, my biggest difficulty was remembering which keys on the typewriter
represented which APL symbol. Placing stickers on the typerwriter keys
helped, but every time I changed to a different typewriter, I had to get a
new set of key stickers, and then install them. When J was released, that
problem was gone, so I started using J, and never went back to APL.

Skip