How similar are both APL and J?
- Compared to almost every other computer language, they are nearly
identical.

To the best of my recollection APL could be written with EBCDIC so why J?
- EBCDIC, to the best of my recollection, supported extended character
sets, sometimes through the use of "code pages".  This severe limitation of
character representation, since solved say some, was seen by Iverson and
others as enough of a reason to try again with a purely ASCII character set.

Can APL do everything J can do and visa versa?
- Insofar as both are Turing-complete, of course. (I'm sure others could
elaborate on this)

Can APL and J be forced to be strongly typed?
- Why would you want to do that?  But, yeah, sure - J is open-source as are
some APLs, so you could implement that any way you see fit.

Are APL and J capable of being Object Oriented like C++ or C#?
- If you want to emulate that style, you could do it but, again, why?

Would one view J as a superset of APL?
- I think it was intended to be something like that but APL has evolved
independently at the same time so it's less clear now.

Are J and APL more than niche languages?
- I hope not for the sake of everything rational.

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 11:27 PM, jane dalley <jane.dal...@outlook.com>
wrote:

> This is my first post; my hope is this is an appropriate question.
>
> My knowledge of APL and J is very limited so my expectation is a simple
> answer that is within my limited ability to grasp.
>
> Examples:
>
> How similar are both APL and J?
>
> To the best of my recollection APL could be written with EBCDIC so why J?
>
> Can APL do everything J can do and visa versa?
>
> Can APL and J be forced to be strongly typed?
>
> Are APL and J capable of being Object Oriented like C++ or C#?
>
> Would one view J as a superset of APL?
>
> Are J and APL more than niche languages?
>
> Sorry if any of these questions are perceived to be offensive, probably
> they have been asked many times before.
>
> Sorry also if these questions are deemed silly such as a toddler might ask.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jane the novice of J

Devon McCormick, CFA

Quantitative Consultant