> From that amuse bouche:
> > The result of this paper is that these two questions are linked
>
> No such thing was proven or even shown to be plausible.

Right (as far as I can see).

By the way, your recollection was correct.  I have been puzzled by all the
fuzz about this famous (or infamous) paper; so, I did a bit of searching:

Dan mentioned the paper seven years ago and he seemed to be on board; he
ended his post with,

"Thanks to Raul for bringing this to my attention on Twitter (by retweeting
Charles Stross, @cstross)"

( see, http://www.jsoftware.com/pipermail/chat/2012-October/004942.html ).

I vaguely recall someone mentioning that Raul discussed it at the J
Conference 2014.  I tried, unsuccessfully, to find his slides in the Journal
of J (JoJ) because I do respect a lot his J coding (most of it, anyway).
According to the program you were there as well.  Do you recall anything
about that talk?

Maybe he still has some materials which he would like to share (I would
certainly take a look).