Replies to this message are sent to The Chevelle Mailing List
------------------------------------------------------------

Last night I was under my 69 & noticed a "greasy" area on part of the
bottom of my gas tank (when I touched it with my finger, it has a "resin
look and feel, but doesn't smell like gas").  *Hoping* that this was just
accumulated grease from the differential vent, I wiped it down (I
couldn't get all the "grease" off, as the surface is a bit rough, but at
least it was no longer slimy to the touch).

This AM, I checked it again & it is "greasy" again.  Although there is no
smell of gas to it, I can't help but wonder if this is an early sign unto
me that the tank is getting porous & will let go one of these days.  SO,
I got out my catalogs to order a replacement & as usual (or so it seems)
I'm faced with a question as to which of 2 directions to go.  

The "big guys" who I usually do business with (NPD, Year One, OPG, the
Paddock) all sell a tank made by a manufacturer who does not supply necks
(and they don't sell necks separately).  To go with one of these tanks
means that I'd have to take my old and new tank to a radiator shop (or
some such) to get them to "sweat" the old neck off and attach it to the
new tank (I'm not sure what this would cost, but it would seem to be a
hassle to haul both tanks to have this done).  talking to various sales
reps on the phone, they assure me that these tanks are top-of-the-line
and are worth the extra "work".

On the other hand, a few of the "smaller guys" who I have catalogs for,
but don't have much experience buying stuff larger than clock knobs from
(Harmon's, Obsolete Chevy Parts, Impala Bob's) do have tanks that come
with filler necks and which are supposedly repo units right down to
having the same footprint and having the same 2 vents pipes that are on
my current tank.  They assure me that they've had no trouble with these
tanks and they assure me that the same strap and sending unit hardware
will work on these tanks as the original tanks (as well as the neckless
tanks being sold by the other guys).   One of them also went so far as
giving me the dimensions of their tank (39 1/4" x 24 1/2" x 7 3/4" and
claimed that this is the exact dimensions of the original tank.

Before I take the plunge and order a tank from one of these latter guys
(and the other stuff to go with it: new straps, nuts, bolts, lock ring,
o-ring, squeak kit), does anyone have any experience or wisdom to offer
of any of the following:

- has anyone bought a tank with a filler attached (and if so, where did
you buy it and what kind of luck have you had with it)? 

- does anyone have any experience with tank-to-body anti squeak kits vs.
strap-to-tank anti squeak kits? (my current setup has the strap-to-tank
kit, but I don't know about tank-to-body)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

        Jim
-will-finally-find-out-if-the-build-sheet-for-his-69-SS396-is-over-the-ga
s-tank- H.

-----------------------------------------------------
To Unsubscribe please visit www.chevelles.net/list.html
To start a new topic, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to