Replies to this message are sent to The Chevelle Mailing List
------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I know this is off track about the header bit, you guys have already 
answered this in a variety of ways on figuring out if the gasket is blown (I 
saved all of these BTW) but it reminded me of two things that has happened 
to me with my 66.  Story number one, I keep rags shoved up my exhaust pipes 
'cause critters like to try to make them their home (snakes, rats, etc. I 
HATE SNAKES) one day I went to start my car, wouldn't start.  I cranked and 
cranked and cranked, wouldn't hit, hit the key one more time before I would 
get out to pop the hood and BAM!!! She backfired and threw my rags out (one 
was singed from the fire!!).  That was funny... in a way (this happened 
before but the engine was running, not well so a floored it and it blew out 
a rats nest with burning rats ha ha ha).  Story number two, my exhaust isn't 
welded, and the clamps started getting loose, but I procrastinated about 
breaking down and buying clamps.  So one day I'm driving down the road and I 
hear clunk!! That was one of the pipes falling off on the highway, and the 
loud straight manifold (sounded good I thought about leaving it off) Oh well 
it came to mind on this tread thought it would be funny.  Later.
Josh
Wounded 66SS396


>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] Blown header gasket??
>Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:46:07 EDT
>
>if ya can get to the end of your tail pipe, put your foot over it to block
>the flow while you have a second person listen around your headers, if you 
>do
>,in-fact, have a header leak, it will make it self known at this time. as 
>far
>as hurting your motor, it depends on were the leak is, if it is around the
>flange at the head,after prolonged periods of clod air hitting the face of
>the valve(since the air only has to travel a short distance and doesnt have 
>a
>chance to get warmed by the exhaust tubing)could cause the valve to crack 
>in
>extreme cases -- find it and fix it!!
>
>Robert O. Means II
>  Livermore,Calif
>   USA
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>


_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp


-----------------------------------------------------
To Unsubscribe please visit www.chevelles.net/list.html
To start a new topic, send mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to