|
Hey fellas, give me some input on suspension
bushings. I rebuilt my front suspension a few years ago with Performance
Suspension Technology's "polygraphite" bushings. These are polyurethane
bushings which are impregnated with graphite for lubrication. I'm getting
ready to rebuild the rear suspension, but I haven't decided what bushings
to go with yet.
If you've ever read the book "Chassis Engineering"
by Herb Adams, then you know that he doesn't recommend polyurethane suspension
bushings because of the need for the polyurethane to rotate against the
metal bushing sleeves combined with the fact that they are not greasable for
ongoing lubrication. He says that they will tend to bind preventing
smooth operation of the suspension system and causing the car's suspension to
not always return to it's equilibrium position. I've noticed this a little
bit on my Chevelle, but not to any great extent. I've also noticed some
squeaking from the bushings, but nothing too drastic or annoying.
He seems to like bushings using "nyliner" nylon
iserts, but I haven't run across anybody that sells them. Has anyone used
these "nyliner" bushings? If so, what did you think and where did you buy
them? I get the impression from the book that I could go to my local
bearing supply house and buy the nyliner inserts, but that I would have to
custom-machine some steel sleeves for them to be installed in.
Another interesting point - Global West also states
that polyurethane bushings tend to bind in the rear suspension. They
recommend using a spherical bearing on the frame end and either polyurethane
bushing or their Del-a-Lum bushing on the rear end.
All right, guys... Chime in and let me know
what you think.
Thanks,
Galen
|
_______________________________________________ Chevelle-list mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://chevelles.net/mailman/listinfo/chevelle-list_chevelles.net

