Thanks Shawn.

I believe you're right about the wire swapping. The old stuff is 40 yrs old and brittle, not to mention how many times the wires were cut to find a hot for new radios (you wish you could talk to previous owners to see what they were thinking).

I think I'm going to spend the money and buy a new harness. I have parts cars, but there is always something wrong with those also. There is a company names M & H that seems to have a product. I bought the engine harness through them and was very pleased.

justing

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shawn Price" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Chevelle Mailing List" <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-list] Starter problem


Justin,
You should have 12v at the solenoid. The only place you will find reduced voltage is at the coil due to the ballast resistor... but you should have 8-10 volts there I believe. You might want to check to make sure you don't have two resistors run in series. Anyway it sounds like you might need to do a little more wire swapping.

Shawn
On Apr 22, 2006, at 7:01 AM, Justin and Belinda Tyree wrote:

If you all remember, I emailed the list about a week and a half ago about starting problems with my 66 (It wouldn't start with just the switch). The
wiring was all chopped up, so I replaced the engine harness.  I still
require a seperate starter switch (an old horn button). I used a voltmeter to find that I have 12V at the hot wire to the ignition switch and 5.8 at the ignition switch when I turn the key for the soliniod. I have 5.8 V at the ignition post on the soliniod also. I believe I am not getting enough voltage to the soliniod (ignition). Does anyone know what the voltage at
the soliniod is supposed to be?  Maybe it's the switch?

thanks
justin








Reply via email to