Hope this helps you. The block # you have is wrong. This info is from MORTEC 
and  nastyz28.

  BLOCK CASTING NUMBER
The block casting number on smallblock and big block Chevy V-8 motors is 
located on a ledge found at the rear of the block, most often on the driver's 
side. This ledge is below the deck of the block and the ledge forms the mating 
surface between the block and the transmission bellhousing. Some of the later 
model blocks have the casting number on the passenger side of this ledge. The 
number itself can have 6, 7 or 8 numeral digits. They might look like this 
"361959" or "3970010" or "14015445". The block casting numbers do not have any 
letters in them. There are sometimes individual letters found on blocks like 
"GM" or "CFD" for the Central Foundry Division, but they are not part of the 
block casting number. Also some of the later blocks have the size of the motor 
shown in liters. You may see a "5.0" (305) or "5.7" (350) cast on the rear 
ledge of a smallblock or a "7.4" on the side of a big block 454. On the side of 
some later blocks the last three digits of the block casting number are cast 
into the block, but these are difficult to see when the engine is in a vehicle. 

http://www.mortec.com/location.htm
Engine Code Stamping Numbers 
All engines are stamped with an engine ID code, consisting of assembly plant 
code, production date and suffix code. V8 codes are stamped on a pad just 
forward of the right side (passenger) cylinder head. 6 cylinder engines are 
stamped on the passenger side of the block behind the distributor. 
Click here for Chevy Engine Code Listings 

The engine date must precede the car build date, otherwise something is amiss. 
Some engine machining operations (decking) will obliterate the engine ID. 

Engine ID Code Example: V0101CLJ - (V = Plant, 01 = Month, 01 = Day, CLJ = 
Engine Suffix Code)
Another example: T0830CTY - (T = Tonawanda, 08 = August, 30 = 30th day, CTY = 
1970 396 Camaro, 375 hp, 11.0:1, TH400) 

      Code Engine Plant  Code Engine Plant 
      F Flint (Motor)  S Saginaw Service 
      H Hydramatic  T Tonawanda 
      K St. Catherines, Ontario  V Flint (Engine) 
     (McKinnon Industries Canada) 
      M GM of Mexico 











  From: William Piper 
  To: 'The Chevelle Mailing List' 
  Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2007 8:58 PM
  Subject: [Chevelle-list] Decoding the engine


  All,

   

  Members of the Chevelle list, I purchased a Chevy this week and would like a 
little help decoding the engine. The gentlemen I bought the car from said he 
didn't have any idea.  I'm not sure I got the numbers right and will double 
check them tomorrow in the daylight and a little more scrubbing on the block.  
Front engine boss has two sets of numbers VO507UFO and T6F526006 (I'm guessing 
this number is part of the VIN). The casting number retrieved from the back of 
the block on the pass side is N088551. This number doesn't seem to match 
anything I have in my data base but it appears to be the only cast number on 
the back of the block.  

   

  Thanks for your help on this as I need to determine what I have before I can 
determine what to do with it.  Tom 

Reply via email to