On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 4:00 AM, <felix.winkelm...@bevuta.com> wrote:

> > We could still get rid of the tagged pointer type.  After some more
>

> > thought on the matter, I believe they're mostly worthless.
>
> "They" means tagged pointers? I agree.

I continue to disagree.  Tagged pointers make it possible to have
dynamically type-safe or type-dispatched treatment of C objects referred to
by the pointer side.  Logically it is equivalent to encapsulate the raw
pointer in a record, but record dereference is much slower than pointer
dereference for whatever reason, so it adds substantial overhead.