I downloaded the 4.11.0 tarball, edited config.make to set PLATFORM and
PREFIX, and typed "make" on an ordinary RHEL 7 Linux box.

It did a bunch of gcc compiles, and failed with this:

chicken  build-version.scm -optimize-level 2 -include-path . -include-path
./ -inline -ignore-repository -feature chicken-bootstrap -no-warnings
-specialize -types ./types.db   -explicit-use -no-trace -output-file
build-version.c
make: chicken: Command not found
make: *** [build-version.c] Error 127

There is indeed no 'chicken' on my path, or anywhere in the installation
tree where I untarred it. The README file says that building from 'git'
requires 'chicken' already installed on the build machine, but it says
nothing about needing one when I install from a tarball.

HELP!