Good point.  We might want to hold off for a week or 2 until they know us.  At this point they don't come when they're called so it's chase the dog if we need them to come in or go out of the house.  They're terrified of doors and it does scare them if we all out chase them so it's a long process. 

marsha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello and welcome! I am Marsha in KY and I am owned by 5 chis. I look forward to hearing about your babies.
 
For housebreaking these grown chis, I think the first thing you need to keep in mind is that it is going to take a lot of patience. It can be done! But don't expect it to happen over night. I would first suggest they NOT be in the diapers all the time. The only thing this does is skirts the problem. The behavior can not be changed as long as all you are doing is keeping the problem contained as opposed to breaking the problem. So first, loose the diapers except at times when you simply can not keep an eye on them. Maybe like at night, or when you must be gone.
 
Second, keep them on an eating/pottying schedule and stay consistent. Remember, they have been permitted to just potty when ever they want and let the diaper catch it, so don't get too upset with them over accidents. They don't yet know better.
 
As soon as you see any sign that they are looking for a place to mark, even if they have already done it, quickly get them, say "NO!" and take them to the appropriate place.
 
Depending on the type of housebreaking you want to do, the steps will differ. But make sure you always take them to the same place.
 
This makes it sound simple....but it isn't. Not at this age. It will take time and patience. Once they come to love you, they will want to please you. Just be careful not to make them frightened of you before they get to know you, by overly correcting. If people would train puppies right from the get -go we wouldn't have these types of problems. I am sure you will do fine.
 
Marsha]
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 9:00 AM
Subject: [Chihuahuas] New member with 2 new Chi's

Good morning.  I'm a new member!  I have a 13 yr old Chihuahua we've owned since he was born.  We just got 2 new Chi's from a rescue here in town that are about 3 years old.  I'm looking for suggestions to help with this transition. They have a crate and the lady that gave them to us has them in diapers since they're "marking" all over the place.  She's right.  Those diapers were off for only a few minutes outside of the crate!  I'm not sure how to handle this since it's been years for us since house training.  I'm running out now to get leashes, food, etc. 
 

Get your email and more, right on the new Yahoo.com


Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small Business. __._,_.___

" Lets talk about our wonderful little friends!
Join today! "





SPONSORED LINKS
Dog breed gift Chihuahua dog clothes Chihuahua dog clothing
Chihuahua dog Chihuahua

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

Reply via email to