I got a feeling if i used a crate my puppy would get pretty upset he's got a 
bathroom to roam around and play in while i'm at work.
He mostly stays in the bathroom with his food,toys,blanket and floor mat with a 
pad by the door.
I been taking him outside to pee after work, before i got to bed winch is two 
house later cause i work all night and when i get up.
I don't know if i should celebrate yet but he's not made a mess in two days it 
seems like he's holding it till I get home.
If he keeps doing this i'll still use pads tho just in case I can't get there 
before he can't hold it anymore.
I don't really see any need in using a muzzle but i'm thinking about maybe if I 
put my friend's pug on one side and him on the other petting them both he'll 
get 
used to it and Saying no if he attacks. 

I think it is fear because he's alot smaller than the pug he's only 3 months 
old 
she must look like a giant to him.
He's also pretty tiny in the neighborhood too and He was raised in a fenced 
area 
full of chis...So, I realize he probably feels like he's been sent to another 
planet lol 






________________________________
From: Deanna Corey <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tue, July 20, 2010 11:09:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] I am having trouble with my chihuahua puppy

  
Just a couple of things here...using a crate while you are working all day will 
not help your pup get potty trained...he needs to have a pen where he can 
choose 
to "GO' on the pad and then back to a clean area. You can buy a folding wire 
pen 
...usually they are gold...for relatively cheap. This way he also won't see his 
"crate" as a place he wants out of! Crate training is for when you are home and 
can take them out of it every few hours....or less...and walk them to where you 
want them to potty!  Also...do NOT carry him to his pad to pee!!! He will never 
learn what he must do to find it if you carry him. In the morning you can walk 
him there or you can "catch" him peeing and move him there quickly and then 
lots 
of praise!!! BUT it is way more effective if you will lead him with a 
leash/halter to the pad each time. Chi's are NOT any harder to housetrain that 
nay other dog!! It is just that they are tiny and people are lazy and not  
consistant. I have had 5 Chi's...all 100% potty trained except for one with 
health issues. You just have to be consistant!
 
Also...do NOT waste your money on a trainer from Petco or Petsmart...most of 
those people have NO CLUE what they are doing!!! You would be better off to get 
a book...read it...and then start putting it to practice. Whatever you 
do...whichever method you choose...just be consistant! AS far as aggression 
with 
your friends dog...you have to claim your dog's food and toys...and maybe even 
your friends dog. YOU give him the food...when there is any sign of aggression 
YOU take the food. Even when there are no signs af agression it is good 
practice 
for YOU to remove his food while he is eating it so he knows you are allowing 
him to eat it!!! He gets food when he acts right...same with toys. Use your 
stern voice when removing the food to let him know you are not ok with his 
tude. 
Chihuahuas will run the world if you let them...they are tiny but MIGHTY!
 
ALSO!!! only a DANGEROUS dog should ever be muzzeled!!! Chi's can bite but they 
can't take an arm off...there is nothing dangerous about a CHI..maybe 
irritating!! ! Muzzling is a lazy practice that fixes nothing and can do harm 
to 
your dog. If you have to take a dog to a groomer and he is biting I might be 
able to see using a muzzel for that short session and then FIXING the problem. 
Any dog can learn anything if the human can learn HOW to show him what they 
want. NO MUZZLING!!! Dogs bite because there is a problem. There are three 
forms 
of aggression in dogs...fear driven, prey driven and human driven. You have to 
determine why your Chi is showing aggression. In this case I would bet it was 
fear. He is not confident or stable in his environment and he sees your 
friend's 
dog as a threat to his safety...his stuff. He is trying to be in control of the 
situation when YOU should be!!! Once you take your place and he sees you are in 
control, he  does not have to be!!!!
 Hugs In Him,
Deanna

And the Corey Crew:

Wife to my best friend: Mark-ie Pooh...married 29 years 6/27/10
Mom to 4 Children: Andrea 26, Jimmy 22, Baxter 19 and Molly 11
Grandma to 4: Lori, Evelyn Rose, Jack and Cameron

Mom to Fur babies:
Nugget (MiniPoodle) www.dogster. com/dogs/ 1085245,
Shuai-Li (Shih Tzu)www.dogster. com/dogs/ 1129251,
Bella-Rose (Pomeranian) http://www. dogster.com/ dogs/1136706
Mouse (Chihuahua)www. dogster.com/ dogs/1005934,
Myrtle May (Chihuahua)
and Caleb (Rott/chow mix)www.dogster. com/dogs/ 988612

Mom to feathered kids: Stella (Blue and Gold Macaw) and Stanley (Double Yellow 
Headed Amazon)

and the curtain climber: Miles www.catster. com/cats/ 895000 




________________________________
 From: dasha <dash...@hughes. net>
To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com
Sent: Tue, July 20, 2010 4:45:25 AM
Subject: RE: [Chihuahuas] I am having trouble with my chihuahua puppy

  
And like I said once before when you posted this same advice for another poster 
when you have to continue to muzzle a dog they are not learning anything. It is 
a temp fix not a solution. 

Bark Busters are very expensive and way overrated. Take it from someone that 
used them before I knew any better. 

 
 The dog is resource/food guarding and a muzzle won't help. I agree about the 
crate and the tethering for the housebreaking. Just don't use the crate as 
punishment. It should be a place the dog wants to go.  

 
 
 


________________________________
 From: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com [mailto:Chihuahuas@ yahoogroups. com] On 
Behalf Of Mark Strassler
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:49 AM
To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com
Subject: Re: [Chihuahuas] I am having trouble with my chihuahua puppy


Hello:

I would start by working with your parents in finding a good dog trainer in 
your 
area. Petsmart's and Petco will offer very basic classes. You should ask your 
vet of a name of a good trainer. You and your parents are going to spend 
$500.00 
+ for a good trainer. See if there is a "barkbuster" trainer in your area, they 
do "in-house" training, they come to your home. 


Crate training is best, when you are away, place the pup in the crate. When you 
are around the pup, watch it at all times. You might want to tether her to you 
so you can be togethter, this is easier to watch there this way.  When she 
needs 
to go, pick her up and take her outside. Chi's can be very hard to train.

As for the food aggression you will just need to tell her in a stern voice -- 
no 
when she snaps at someone when around her food. When she is around other 
animals, you might what to muzzle her until she learns better manners. This 
helps with one my  my Chi. He does forget now and then, but when I take out the 
muzzle, he know he has done bad and "remembers" how to act. 


One you have been through a good training program, it really sinks in what to 
do 
with other pets you will get in your life time. Training is not only for the 
pup, it also is for you.




________________________________
 From: william <willybilly30@ yahoo.com>
To: chihuah...@yahoogro ups.com
Sent: Sun, July 18, 2010 3:49:42 PM
Subject: [Chihuahuas] I am having trouble with my chihuahua puppy

  
I got an adorable baby Chihuahua white, long hair, brown nose and So I wont 
have 
to spell that word again i'm calling him his name Gizmo.

He for some reason is mean to other animals he snaps and growls at dogs and 
cats. Now, if he don't like the neibors dogs fine..so be it but he snapped at 
my 
freinds pug and That got me upset. Now, she was sticking her nose in her food 
bowl he was eating out of so, I guess that's understandable I wouldn't want 
someone trying to eat what i'm eating.

But, Now he does it if i'm sitting beside her or she walks by. He don't mind 
going out to poop with her but that seems to be it. Can't my freind's pug named 
(pig) she's a female don't know if that's a problem. and Gizmo be freinds?

Also, I would like some potty training advise it seems I can get Gizmo too poop 
beside the poop pad but not on it. I been putting his terds on the pad and 
putting it over the pee but, My little pup just don't get  it.

I just now got some treats to reward him for pooping in the yard so, I hope 
that 
helps. I want him to bark at the door to go poop. Also, He will have to use 
pads 
while i'm at work so, I guess he needs to learn to do both.

So, any advice or suggestions? 



 


      

Reply via email to