When we adopted our little girl back in January one of the best pieces of 
advise 
I got
was not to look her in the eye ...  so even when we were giving her a treat she 
wouldn't come if
we were looking but as soon as we turned away she would come.   Evidently in 
the 
dog 

world looking in the eye is a threat.    She is finally over that,

 sigh..... the other thing she
did and still does is jerk her head from side to side when she is feeling 
threatened ( I don't 

ever threaten her so I don't know what that's all about...  it's when I put her 
food down,
call her and wait....  but, if I move away the head jerking stops and she comes 
for her food.

That too is getting less and less.  She was a breeder for 4+ years and is just 
now learning
to be our pet.   Your little one sounds just like our Benji girl.   She still 
doesn't come to
me when I call but she will now go someplace where I can pet her or pick her up 
when
necessary.   

Sounds like we've got twins.    I'll sure be interested to hear how you do and 
what
works for you.  I did find that the not looking at her really made a big 
difference.  She
doesn't mind now.

Good luck.    mj and Benji






________________________________
From: C.M. <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tue, September 28, 2010 6:41:52 PM
Subject: [Chihuahuas] Normal Behavior?

  
Hi folks,
 My new chi watches me most of the time. But when I look at him, he stops 
whatever he's doing, including eating, until I look away. And he won't go potty 
while I'm looking at him. He'll wait 'til I look away or he'll walk out of my 
sight range.  Is this normal? And what do you think it means? Also, he still 
won't come to me when I call him, (I even try calling him to me in Spanish!). 
but he will saunter over whenever he feels like it. When I put my hand down to 
pet him or pick him up, he runs away.  He was a stray and I've had him now for 
one month. Any suggestions?
Thanks

 

Reply via email to