I am sure you could get as many answers to this question as there are
people on this list.  While we were in FL I used Comfortis because the
fleas there are immune to a lot of the topicals there.  I also dusted the
dogs' undersides with Dimetaceous Earth once or twice a week and dusted
their beds/blankets with it.  Here in MI we have lots of ticks as well as
the fleas.  After doing a lot of reading online and talking with our vet I
went with plain Frontline.  Our vet said he has found that it works better
than Frontline 2 which is curious.  I also still use the DE on them
occasionally and dust their beds and blankets.  I also comb our dogs for
ticks when we come in from our evening walk.  I will usually find a live
tick on one or both dogs each night.  UGH! I would rather catch it on them
before it jumps off and gets on us!  I have not found any attached ticks
and never any fleas.  I try to stay away from any products that have
permethryn.  Our vet also said it would be fine to split one Frontline
applicator between our two boys.  I was trying some organic products but
freaked out by the number of ticks we are seeing and went back to the
Frontline.  I just hate putting this stuff on them but do not want bugs on
them or in the house either! One night our Scout would not go in his crate
and we couldn’t figure out why.  On closer inspection there was a tick
crawling on his bed and he didn't want to go in there with it!  Sue

 this is a posting I found:
"Fleas and ticks do NOT have to bite your pet for FRONTLINE Brand Products
to work. FRONTLINE Brand Products kill fleas and ticks if they simply come
into contact with your pet's hair coat.(it must take a while though)

That being said a comparison study of Frontline Plus versus K-9 Advantix and
Advantage shows at 28 days K-9 Advantix lost about 50% of it's efficiency
at killing fleas versus a 5% efficiency loss in Frontline Plus. In this
study dogs were treated with one of three products (Frontline Plus, K-9
Advantix, or Advantage. The dogs were then exposed to 100 live unfed fleas
on days 6, 13, 20 and 27. Flea counts were taken on the dogs on days 7, 14,
21 and 28. Frontline Plus maintained a flea killing efficiency of over 95%
during the study period. K-9 Advantix dropped to 70% by day 14!!!! and to
50% by day 28!!! I have also heard countless horror stories of dogs being
poisoned by K-9 Advantix. The permethrin (one of the 2 active ingredients
in K-9 advantix) causes poisonings in cats and dogs who lick themselves.
The permethin is also used in a lot of grocery store brand flea products
like Hartz. Permethin is used by farmers to rid crops of insects. This is
not something I would want to put on my pet!!!

Sorry for the long post, but it is a topic near and dear to my heart as I
have seen the horrors of permethin poisoning first hand.

Use Frontline or Frontline Plus."

Reply via email to