*CHODOSH BULLETIN-JULY 28 08*

*Y. Herman/Guide to Chodosh*

This is to confirm the final Chodosh date of Jul 26 for this season. For the significance of this, see the paragraph below that was written on Jul 22. The other tentative dates given below still stand, subject to confirmation based on future weekly reports from the US Dep’t of Agriculture.

*_THE FOLLOWING AS OF JUL 22_*

*STARTING DATES FOR CHODOSH*

We have just received the latest weekly crop report from the US Dep’t of Agriculture. That report indicates that the harvest of the Chodosh oats crops is further behind than we anticipated. As a result, we are putting off the starting Chodosh date for _oats_ from Jul 15 to *_Jul 26_*. So far our estimates for the start of Chodosh _spring wheat and barley_ remain at _Aug 1_ and for _noodles and pasta_ the date still tentatively remains at _Aug 15_. (Note that Gefen expects to produce Yoshon barley till pesach.) These dates are PACKING dates. This means that packaged food items packed on these dates or later may contain Chodosh. Any packaged foods that you will find on the grocery shelves after these dates for _at least 2 more _weeks are almost certain to still be Yoshon. Beyond those 2 weeks, using package codes from earlier Guides should allow you to find Yoshon items on your grocery shelves that were packed before the cutoff packing dates. (If you don’t have old Guides, you may download the last Guide of the previous season by sending a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. However, remember that this is still last year’s Guide and it should only be used as a reference for dating codes. The actual dates and information in that Guide are not to be used for the new season. The first issue of the new season is due out in early Sept.)

For _freshly baked_ bakery, pizza shop, etc foods, the preliminary estimate is that, for facilities that did not make arrangements for Yoshon flour, the flour they use may become Chodosh as early as _Aug 1_. This is a _purchase date. _ That means that it is possible that those facilities may sell Chodosh starting Aug 1.

Please note that these dates are still tentative, subject to change until the US Dep’t of Agriculture confirms that the harvests of Chodosh crops have actually started. Please look for future update bulletins as more data becomes available.

*UPDATE ON WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT SEASON*

Regarding our earlier fears for the availability of Yoshon in bakeries, etc, the situation has dramatically and unexpectedly improved. As of June 1, we were still being told by the flour mills and flour distributors that most likely there will be no Yoshon spring wheat flour available for the new season. This was because it was expected that there would not be any Yoshon spring wheat left over at the start of the Chodosh harvest.” What was not predicted is that the increased price of spring wheat resulted in a decreased usage of this crop, giving rise to an unexpected surplus. It was at the time that we called for the June 14 emergency meeting of flour producers, sellers, and Yoshon mashgichim. Then the prospects still looked bleak indeed. In fact, there is indeed some left over Yoshon wheat - less than usual, but enough for our needs. This is yet another example of the /seyata d’shmaya/ that the Chodosh project has seen throughout the years.

By today, BE”H almost all of the bakeries and other facilities that have produced Yoshon in the past have already contracted to have adequate supplies of Yoshon for the next season. Therefore, we are cancelling our previously published alert. We now expect the Yoshon scene (and even the first issue of the Guide to Chodosh) to follow patterns established in previous years. If anyone is aware of any food producer who has problems procuring Yoshon flour, please ask them to contact Yoseph Herman at the Guide to Chodosh by email at [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> or by the Hot Line at 718-305-5133.

Y. Herman

Those who have subscribed last year to the email distribution list do not need to renew this email subscription.