*CHODOSH BULLETIN-21 DEC 08*

*From the Guide to Chodosh-Y. Herman*

*Chodosh telephone Hot Line 718-305-5133, email **yher...@earthlink.net*
<mailto:yher...@earthlink.net>**

* *

*_YOUR HELP IS REQUESTED ON MALT USED IN BAKERIES-UPDATED_*

*_ _*

On Dec 4 I asked for your help on forwarding to me data on the use of
malt in bakeries. So far I have received one reply which directed me to
2 manufacturers of flavorings used by kosher bakeries. From these I have
identified one additive, ?Honey-Like Blend? made by U. S. Chocolate Co.
that does contain malt flavoring. I would appreciate further feedback
from those who have checked their local bakeries for flavorings and
additives. Please let me know whether you did or did not find any malt
at your local bakery. (As mentioned below, I am not concerned at this
time about malt in baking flour.)

_This is my earlier request_: I do not have an adequate understanding of
which bakery flavorings and other bakery additives may contain MALT. It
is well known that all bakery flour (except cake flour) contains malt.
It is known that in Yoshon bakery flour that malt is always Yoshon as
well (either because the flour was stored since August, or for
freshly-ground bakery flour the O-U makes sure that the added malt is
Yoshon.) However I need a better picture of which flavorings and other
additives added in the bakery to cakes, cookies and other products may
contain malt. I am asking mashgichim and consumers to please check at
the local bakeries. Ask them to show you the labels of such flavorings,
coatings and other additives. Check the list of ingredients for ?malt?
or ?barley malt?. For each item where you find such malt, please note
the following:

  1. Exact name and use of the additive
  2. Name, address and phone number of the manufacturer
  3. Sample dating code or ?best if used by? date
  4. Is the malt listed in beginning of the list of ingredients, in the
     middle or near the end?

Please forward this data, only to the following email address:
yher...@earthlink.net <mailto:yher...@earthlink.net>

Thank you

Yoseph Herman

CORRECTIONS AND ADDITIONS TO THE SECOND ISSUE OF THE GUIDE

FOLLOWING AS OF DEC 21

*Weetabix* (this cereal is misspelled in the Guide as ?Wheatabix?) the
wheat in all cereals is winter wheat and is Yoshon. The malt in all
organic cereals is Yoshon until pesach. For non-organic cereals, the
malt may be Chodosh with a package code of Jan 15 09 (1 year after packing.)

*Columbia *egg noodles have a Chodosh code of Aug 15 09 (1 year after
packing). The macaroni, spaghetti and other pasta have a code of Aug 15
10 (2 years after packing.)

*Kemach* minestrone soup Chodosh code in 3170 (317=day of the year, 0=year+2). Vegetable soup code is 3030.

***********************************

THE FOLLOWING AS OF DEC 4 08.

*Brill?s Bakery* in Spring Valley, NY (This is misspelled in the Guide
as ?Brulles Bakery?) and *Taam Eden Bakery* in New Square. All baked
items are Yoshon including whole wheat bread. The only exceptions are
6-grain and 9-grain breads which may be Chodosh. Under the hashgocho of
the Beis Din of New Square.

*Liebers.* As the Guide states, all cookies, crackers, snackers that are
without oats are Yoshon. However, _whole-wheat_ snackers, pretzels and
whole wheat crackers may be Chodosh starting a purchase date of Dec 1.

/?/* Garden of Eat-In*, 1416 Ave J. (718)252-5289. The following are
Yoshon: zucchini muffins, breads, rolls (excluding hamburger rolls, and
hamburger buns), blintzes, and bialys. /_Yoshon pasta available on
requests_/_. _All products breaded in the store are also Yoshon. _The
following are NOT Yoshon_: baguettes, English muffins, white bread,
bagels, barley, most of the pastas, hamburger rolls and buns, and
anything fried. Low-fat or fat-free muffins are probably NOT Yoshon
please contact the Kehila Kashrus office at the telephone numbers
718-951-0481 or 646-739-2465. Under the hashgocho of Kehila Kashrus of
Brooklyn.

*? Ave P Appetizer*, 466 Ave P, Brooklyn, 646-302-6372. All products may
not be Yoshon. For questions, contact Kehilah Kashrus at (718) 951-0481.
. (Warning: this hashgocho does not check the Yoshon status of malt
which may be a problem after Oct 15. For a discussion of malt, see
Sections 3.1, 3.2 and 10.1.)

*Ungers* pizza crust (regular, not whole wheat) has the Chodosh code of
Feb. 26 2009. The Strudel leaves have a Chodosh code of 08303 (08=year,
303=day of year.) If there is no code printed on the package, then it is
not recommended as Yoshon due to lack of information.

*Ostrovsky Heimishe Bakery*, 1201 Ave J, Brooklyn. All items Yoshon
under the hashgocho of Rabbi Yechezkel Shraga Kahana of the CRC.

*Rabbinical Council of California (RCC)* the current policy is that all
facilities certified by the RCC as being Yoshon also are checked to make
sure that they use Yoshon malt, unless stated otherwise. Therefore, the
following establishments in Section 13.3 of the Guide that are under RCC
hashgocho should be changed from category ? to category ?: Classic
Bakery, Schwartz Bakeries.

* *

I encourage you to download the complete PDF version of the new Guide by
sending a blank email message to ONE of the following:

chod...@sefer.org

chod...@moruda.com <mailto:chod...@moruda.com>

To receive the introductory part of the Guide, the part that has not
changed from the first issue, send a blank email to chodosh-in...@sefer.org

The Guide is also available, as usual, from our BBS.

Those who have access to email can have important corrections and
updates sent to their email address automatically. To subscribe to this
free service send a blank email message to:

chodosh-subscr...@jif.org.il <mailto:chodosh-subscr...@jif.org.il>

Those who have subscribed last year to the email distribution list do
not need to renew this email subscription.

this list by sending a message to:

chodosh-unsubscr...@jif.org.il.

Then if you wish to resume receiving these messages from your new
service, send a message to:

chodosh-subscr...@jif.org.il <mailto:chodosh-subscr...@jif.org.il>.

CAUTION: Some new anti-spam filters require senders to respond to a
challenge in order for their E mail to be received. This E mail
distribution list can not provide such responses. Other filters
eliminate all mass mailings such as this one. If you are using such
filters, be sure to put these messages on the allowed list of your
filter, otherwise you will not receive the updates.

Project Chodosh is an independent activity, not affiliated with any
movement or organization. We thank the Jewish Internet Fund (JIF) for
allowing us to use their E mail distribution services. The JIF provides
free email and web hosting to Jewish education and outreach
organizations. We also thank the sites moruda.com and sefer.org for
allowing the public to use E mail to request copies from their
facitlites of the Guides to Chodosh and the Mashgichim.