On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Darin Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm familiar with straight COM C++ and MIDL and can imagine how that might
> look, but I don't know enough about the issues with ATL.  I've heard some
> objections to ATL in the past.
>
> At any rate, it'd be good to see a more detailed proposal before committing
> to anything.  In general, I think it could be reasonable for the chromium
> repository to be home to other projects derived from the chromium source.

Ok, let's talk about possible designs :-)

I think it would be nice to leverage chromium's multi-process architecture
in a COM context.  The chromium browser process would be hosted in a local
COM server executable.  Each browser window requested by the container
application (and created by the COM server) would be a separate webcore
process managed by the browser process, similar to how tabs are handled in
Chrome.   The COM runtime could transparently handle LRPC marshaling between
the container application and the COM browser process, and the browser
process could communicate with the webcore process using IPC per the usual
methods.  If a webcore process crashes then neither the container
application nor the browser process is taken down as a result.  We could
even use the same "sad tab" graphics (if that's not IP infringement) and
allow the webcore process to be reloaded without necessarily requiring
intervention from the container application.

> -Darin

Regards,
Marshall