I filed http://bugs.chromium.org/10872 for this...

>From src/chrome/tools/build/win/version.bat:

:: Determine the current repository revision number
set PATH=%~dp0..\..\..\..\third_party\svn;%PATH%
svn.exe info | grep.exe "Revision:" | cut -d" " -f2- | sed "s/\(.*\)/set
LASTCHANGE=\1/" >> %VarsBat%
call %VarsBat%

This calls trunk/deps/third-party/svn/svn.exe, which is not the same
version as svn in depot_tools.

Result?

Generating version template file
svn: This client is too old to work with working copy '.'.  You need
to get a newer Subversion client, or to downgrade this working copy.
See http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#working-copy-format-change
for details.

My preference would be to remove svn from the tree. We require you to use
gclient to pull the tree, so you already have svn in one place. If it's not
in your path, I think it's OK for this step to fail (modify the bat file to
point to your copy of svn).

For most users and the buildbots, svn will be in the path.

So just calling 'svn' means version.bat will use the same version that
gclient used to check out the files.

Any objections to

1. Pulling deps/third_party/svn out of the tree?
2. Changing version.bat to just call 'svn' (expecting it in the path)?