Sure we shouldn't expect design docs from people (or request them), but I
don't think we should discourage them.

I've taken a look at all the WebKit design docs that have floated around
(though I suppose most responses have been on this mailing list).  I think
it's especially important for engineers who are new to WebKit.  Personally,
the process of writing the design doc really helped me flesh out my ideas
before I started writing code.