On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Peter Kasting<pkast...@google.com> wrote:
> [Edit: right as I was going to send this, I see you seem to be thinking
> along similar lines.]
> You're right that a dropdown with the names of every theme the user has ever
> used is both unwieldy and unhelpful.  How about this:
> We replace the Options buttons with a page with the 5 MRU themes (perhaps
> "that have been used for more than 1 minute") and the default theme, each
> with a name, a thumbnail, and perhaps a link to the container page; and a
> link to the main theme gallery called "pick another theme" or "get more
> themes" or something.  Click on a theme and it changes the current theme
> instantly, but doesn't reorder the list until you close the page.
> Or, instead of building this list in locally, we could build it in to the
> themes gallery.  When you go there these MRU themes (and the default) are
> right on the first page.  This can also help when you're trying to set up
> another machine with the theme you like and need to remember what it is.
> I hope you can understand why having the MRU themes at your fingertips can
> be convenient even if there is some way (the history page?) to try and find
> past themes.

I think that building this into the gallery makes a lot of sense. And
I realized that by "preview" you all might mean "a picture of what
this looks like", before you click anything. Similar to what is on the
current gallery pages.

> Incidentally, two other asks:
> * When "installing" a theme, give the user a way to switch back to the
> previous theme (e.g. an infobar).  We currently have an option to switch
> back to the default theme, which is also useful, in different cases.

We have a bug open on this. It requires some changes to the themes
service. I think that Avi is working on this.

>  Perhaps have both?

I'd rather it be just "undo" alone. We have an emergency "exit back to
default" theme hidden in the prefs. Maybe it could also be in the
gallery.

> * Don't leave crud (.crx files, anything in downloads directory, files in
> the user profile) on disk for previously installed themes.  Clean them up.
>  (Low priority.)

It actually deletes them as of right now. You're remembering the way
it used to behave.

However, they still show up on the downloads page. There is a bug open on that.

- a