Oh yikes. Hmm. No, I'm not okay with that.

Three solutions
1) don't select the autocomplete. Do it like Firefox (autocompletions
are in the dropdown, don't mess with what the user is typing)
2) select the autocomplete, but in a way that's clearly different from
normal selection (like, have the autocompletion be just greyed out or
something)
3) make this be the one exception. I still guess I expect ^L to
clobber my selection.

perhaps #3 is the best choice.