On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:24 PM, JT Olds <jto...@xnet5.com> wrote:

> Oh yikes. Hmm. No, I'm not okay with that.
>
> Three solutions
> 1) don't select the autocomplete. Do it like Firefox (autocompletions
> are in the dropdown, don't mess with what the user is typing)

The entire omnibox hinges on this behavioral difference, so we can't do
this.

2) select the autocomplete, but in a way that's clearly different from
> normal selection (like, have the autocompletion be just greyed out or
> something)

Has been suggested in the past, but would be a large amount of effort (as
you'd not only need to modify all the drawing code, but completely
reimplement editing of the text to do the right thing) and wouldn't match
other platforms.

3) make this be the one exception. I still guess I expect ^L to
> clobber my selection.

I believe this is in fact precisely how we do things today.

PK