I actually don't like having a mix of HTML/native UIs in the product.
When we switched to the NTP from the old Destinations page we made the
decision to have the content of tabs feel webby and the content of
dialogs feel dialoggy.

As a result the NTP now feels pleasantly webby, but many of the HTML
dialogs don't feel dialoggy (focus issues, key accelerators, etc).

-Ben