I've noticed that the use of the 'direct_dependent_settings' in gyp to
propagate #defines and include paths makes it trickier to decipher the
actual build-order dependencies.  I've had cases where I needed to add a gyp
dependency just to get an #include path for a header file that was
transitively included by a bona-fide dependent.  The pollution obscures the
actual dependency structure.
A transitive version of 'direct_dependent_settings' that works on indirect
dependencies might improve the situation.  Another possibility is a
lightweight 'mix-in' target type that has no .vcproj associated with it, but
that can still impart the side effect of 'direct_dependent_settings' on its
dependents.

 - nick