Nick Carter wrote:
> I've been assuming that a 'dependencies' entry between two targets implies
> the serialization of their build order, and a missed opportunity for build
> parallelization.

That's not true.  If a static library depends on another static
library (the common case among our targets), no direct build order
relationship is created.  Instead, the build order relationship is
pushed to concrete linkable dependents, such as executables, shared
libraries, and loadable modules.

In order to force a static library dependency to behave in the way
that you suggest, it would need to have the 'hard_dependency' property
set.  Most don't because this would be inappropriate.

In other words, we've already solved the parallelization problem
you're trying to solve.  :)

Mark