Of course, it didn't ACTUALLY get better until I got annoyed enough to
figure out how to upgrade my system's version of flash.  I went out
and followed web instructions for apt-removing the older version and
installed the newer deb from Adobe.

Of course, that didn't fix it either.  Eventually it bugged me enough
to do something else, so I figured "Maybe about:plugins?", and it gave
me a page, and I noticed that I had two flash plug-ins.  Didn't tell
me where they were coming from, though.  Eventually I found the second
plug-in in .mozilla/plugins.  Being confident in my ability to restore
Firefox from the ground up, I nuked it from orbit.

Given the history of ways to install things on Linux, I wonder if it
wouldn't be worth having additional information for that platform
about stuff like this.  about:plugins tells me the filename to look
for, but not where to look.  And about:plugins isn't very
discoverable, even if you know that you should be looking for
something - I think that if we see two versions of libflashplayer.so,
we can be pretty sure something is wrong.

[And I'm getting tired of not being able to use C-n in my compose
windows.  I had to dismiss four New Windows from just this email.  I'm
sure printing support will make me additionally happy on this front
:-).  Yes, I'll go file a bug or something.]

-scott