I think ownership might actually help with flakiness.
Today, in order to distinguish flakiness from real bugs, the gardener needs
to have intimate knowledge of the relevant part of the code base and its
history. That is beyond the capabilities of the average webkit gardener.
Now, imagine a world were every layout test has an owner who can decide
intelligently that the bug is flakey and advise the gardener what to do with
it. Wouldn't it make gardening much easier?

[Flakiness dashboard is very helpful in making the decision, but specialized
knowledge topples generic statistics, especially if a test just started
flaking]