Well done Neil.  Doug Russell

________________________________
From: churchillchat@googlegroups.com <churchillchat@googlegroups.com> on behalf
of Neil Coates <nmcoa...@bigpond.com>
Sent: Friday, May 5, 2017 12:13 AM
To: churchillchat@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [ChurchillChat] Sir Winston Churchill on USS Randolph

Churchill was visiting the Reeves villa, La Pausa, in the Alpes-Maritimes
Department of France on the Mediterranean at the time.  In a letter to
Clementine dated 22 October 1958 he wrote:

“We are examining the possibility of going to lunch next Sunday upon the
Randolph, an American aircraft carrier.  They have the idea that they can pick
us up in one of their special helicopters and drop us on the ship itself.  We
have invited the Captain and his wife to lunch on Friday to look into the
possibilities.  I have never been in a helicopter, and would like to make a
voyage which would certainly save a great deal of toil.”

The luncheon appointment came to fruition as Churchill says in his letter of
thanks to Wendy Reeves for her hospitality on his return to London:

“… my stay at Pausaland … was really most delightful, and I think our
helicopter journey to the giant American ship was an exhilarating incident.  I
must say I admired your courage at close quarters to the machine, and I am sure
that on patriotic grounds you must have enjoyed this day above all others.”

Winston S. Churchill by Martin Gilbert, volume VII ‘Never Despair’ 1945—1965,
Heinemann, London, 1988 pp 1279, 1281

Wendy Reeves was an American philanthropist, socialite and fashion model.  At
the time she was the mistress of Emery Reeves, Churchill’s literary agent, whom
she later married.

USS Randolph, was the second US Navy ship named for Peyton Randolph, President
of the First Continental Congress.  She was built as an Essex class aircraft
carrier commissioned 9 October 1944.  She was awarded three Battle Stars in the
Pacific Theatre in WW2.  After the war she was refitted as an attack carrier,
CVA and at the time of her fifth Mediterranean deployment 2 September 1958 to
12 March 1959 was designated as anti-submarine, CVS.

As part of the NASA Mercury Project she was a recovery ship for the splashdown
of Virgil Grissom and of John Glenn.

Thank you for highlighting an interesting interlude in Churchill’s later life.

Neil H Coates