We're All Suspects
As our civil liberties disappear, where are the Democrats?

by Nat Hentoff
September 11th, 2007

On October 11, 2001, the Senate was about to vote on the USA Patriot Act.
Democratic majority leader Tom Daschle hastily called a caucus of his troops
and ordered them not to vote for an amendment expected to come from their
colleague, Russ Feingold of Wisconsin. Daschle knew what Feingold was planning,
and if Democrats joined him, Bush would brand the party as unforgivably
unpatriotic so soon after 9/11.
Recognize any of these changes in your country today? Despite Feingold's words,
the Patriot Act passed the Senate 98 to 1.

This year, just before the August recess, enough cowardly Democrats gave Bush
and Cheney the votes they needed to pass the Protect America Act of 2007,
radically expanding the warrantless surveillance of telephones calls and
e-mails when Americans communicate with people outside the country or are
called from abroad by someone "reasonably" linked to terrorism.

Because of this cave-in by the Democrats, writes Jacob Sullum of The Washington
Times, "Americans will have no legally enforceable privacy rights that protect
the content of their international communications."

Six months after the president's signing of the Protect America Act, Congress
will be able to review and change it. We'll see how tough Harry Reid and Nancy
Pelosi—leaders even hollower than Tom Daschle—turn out to be. With national
elections nearing, will the Democrats again succumb to the fear of being
charged with abandoning national security?

Whatever cosmetic changes may be made to the Protect America Act, Russ Feingold
was ominously prophetic in 2001. We now live in a country where, as I've been
reporting here since then, our rights and liberties under the Constitution are
even more eviscerated than he could have imagined. And this administration is
using the time it has left to make this more of a nation ruled by fear rather
than by law, a nation that would spur Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams, Thomas
Paine, and George Washington—if only they were still here—to ignite another
American Revolution.

Before exploring the Bush administration's increasingly aggressive agenda for
ways to make millions more of us into suspects under surveillance, I first have
to focus on how effectively the president has conditioned many Americans to
accept that living in a surveillance society is quite normal.

There certainly is antiwar resistance to the wasteland we have created in much
of Iraq and Afghanistan, but the state of our own civil liberties is well down
the list of acutely troubling issues in the presidential campaign.

And a creeping complacency has now been startlingly revealed by one of our
leading historians, a man who, in the past, has often demonstrated how close
this country has come to losing its constitutional soul in times of war and
fear of internal (as well as external) enemies.

Chicago University law professor Geoffrey Stone's still widely available
book—Perilous Times: Free Speech in Wartime, from the Sedition Act of 1798 to
the War on Terrorism (Norton)—was greeted in 2004 as a powerful warning of how
hard it's been for Americans to regain their freedoms once they've been traded
for "security."

But on August 19, an opinion piece by Stone appeared in the Financial Times
with the headline "U.S. Civil Liberties Remain Strong." (It also appeared the
next day on the faculty blog of the University of Chicago Law School,
uchicagolaw.typepad.com.)

Although Stone begins by admonishing the Democrats who supported the
president's deep-sixing of our telephone and e-mail privacy in the Protect
America Act, he then reassures us:

"Nonetheless, the overall state of civil liberties in the U.S., viewed in
historical perspective, is surprisingly strong. There are no internment camps
for American Muslims, no suspensions of habeas corpus for American citizens, no
laws prohibiting criticism of the war in Iraq."

How have we been so fortunate—despite the ceaselessly subversive work of Dick
Cheney and the other members of the president's Praetorian Guard of
national-security commanders?

Stone credits, as he should, the ACLU for its resistance, through litigation
and the critically valuable use of the Freedom of Information Act to release
documents you weren't supposed to see. (And there are many other resourceful,
deep-throated canaries in the coal mine, including the persistent Bill of
Rights Committees throughout the country.)

But for all that the ACLU and others have exposed, we could be a lot worse off
were it not for the fact, Stone astonishingly continues, that "Americans have
come to value civil liberties as part of their romance with America. Although
we are still too willing to make unwise compromises of individual liberties in
order to protect (or try to protect) national security, we are much more
sensitive to these issues than we have ever been." (Emphasis added.)

Gee whiz! How did I miss the hordes of messages to Congress from citizens
outraged by the passage of the Military Commissions Act of 2006, which—as I and
other reporters have detailed—is one of the most poisonous pieces of
legislation against civil-liberties laws in our history? And this year, were
there any marches, rallies, or even ads protesting the Protect America Act or
Bush's executive order providing even more special powers for the CIA?

As for "internment camps," on August 8, 2002, The Wall Street Journal (in its
news, not its editorial, pages) broke the first story that internment camps
were already being planned. (For more, see my book, The War on the Bill of
Rights and the Gathering Resistance, Seven Stories Press.)

Last year, buried in the 591-page Defense Appropriations Act—as civil-
liberties watchdog John Whitehead and others have reported—the
Republican-controlled 109th Congress, doubtless at the Bush/Cheney
administration's behest, inserted a provision that (in Whitehead's words)
allows the president "to declare martial law and use the military as a domestic
police force in response to a natural disaster, disease outbreak, terrorist
attack or any 'other condition' " that undermines public order. (Emphasis
added.)

How much due process would these military-police roundups of suspected internal
enemies give those prisoners? And how long will that military power be in
effect domestically?

Has Geoffrey Stone forgotten James Madison's warning: "A standing military
force, with an overgrown Executive, will not long be safe companions to
liberty"?

Next week: more of how "strong" our civil liberties are in 2007.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0737,hentoff,77738,6.html