Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:35:23 -0500 (EST)
From: "Senator Carl Levin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: My Vote Against Torture
  Dear Friend,

Late last year in meetings with senior Saudi government officials,
Congressional staffers raised concerns about the case of the Saudi rape victim
who faced six months in prison and two hundred lashes because she spoke out
publicly.
  The Saudi officials responded by simply saying, "Guantanamo" and "Abu
Ghraib". As if to say, "Who are you to lecture us about due process and human
rights?"
  When the President of the United States says we are not bound by the Geneva
Conventions, allowing for "enhanced interrogation" techniques to be carried out
by Americans, it is intolerable for many reasons: it is morally wrong and it
violates our basic values; it produces unreliable information and may cause
prisoners to resist cooperation; it violates domestic and international law;
and it jeopardizes our own troops if they are captured.
  As General Petraeus, the commander of all our forces in Iraq, has said, "Some
may argue that we would be more effective if we sanctioned torture or other
expedient methods to obtain information from the enemy. They would be wrong.
Beyond the basic fact that such actions are illegal, history shows that they
also are frequently neither useful nor necessary."
  Beyond all of those strong arguments, the specter of torture distracts from
the virtue of our stand against terrorists, and it detracts from America's
image around the world.
  General Petraeus also said, "What sets us apart from our enemies in this
fight, however, is how we behave. In everything we do, we must observe the
standards and values that dictate that we treat noncombatants and detainees
with dignity and respect."
  Last week, the Senate voted 51-45 on a bill to end the CIA's so-called
"enhanced interrogation techniques."
  The Intelligence Authorization Conference Report, which I supported, included
a provision that would require all government agencies, including the CIA, to
comply with the Army Field Manual on Interrogations, which is consistent with
our obligations under Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions, in the
treatment and interrogation of detainees.
  Unfortunately, we are already hearing that the President may veto this bill.
  We need the understanding and goodwill of people from other nations for our
own security, and winning back our moral standing around the world will not
happen if we continue to tolerate torture.
  Sincerely,

Carl Levin
  P.S. Click here to read my full statement in support of the Intelligence
Authorization Conference Report.

  To remove yourself from the Friends of Senator Carl Levin email list,
please click here to unsubscribe.
  Paid for by Friends of Senator Carl Levin.
   Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:35:22 -0600 (CST)